There are always risks when you are out and about, especially at night. You can never be too careful – here are some tips to stay safe:
- Avoid walking through parks, lanes or dark places, especially at night – walk with a friend or stay in populated areas.
- Be alert and make sure you are aware of your surroundings at all times. Be wary of strangers – on foot and in cars – it is better to be rude than be in trouble.
- Look after your personal belongings: carry your bag close to you with the clasp facing inwards and hide expensive gear such as mobile phones, laptops, iPads and tablets.
- In pubs, bars and clubs don’t accept drinks from strangers and never leave your drink unattended.
- If you are travelling alone by taxi, sit in the back seat.
- Do not hitchhike or offer rides to strangers.
- When you are on campus and are concerned walking to your car or public transport at night, request an escort to your vehicle or tram stop on 9479 2012.