‘Studying in Australia has helped my personal development in so many ways’

Masters of Economics student, Abdullah Al MarufAbdullah Al Maruf is a La Trobe international student from Bangladesh. After completing his undergraduate degree majoring in finance and marketing, Abdullah worked full-time for around four years, and felt he needed a specialised Master’s to climb the career ladder. He commenced his Master of Professional Accounting (MPA) at La Trobe’s Melbourne Campus in 2015.

‘I choose to study in Australia because of the cultural diversity, friendly natives, and high quality of education. La Trobe’s reputation and campus life were the main things that attracted me.’

Adjusting to life in Australia

‘Living in a different culture can be both an exciting adventure and a challenging process, but it’s common for international students to go through a period of cultural adjustment. For me, the adjustment period was smooth, because I was open-minded and curious, and gave myself permission to make mistakes.

‘I was actively involved in clubs and societies, as well as volunteering programs. During that period, I made friends with people from different backgrounds, learning different languages, eating different foods – it’s great to live in a place where different opinions are heard and respected.’

Living in Melbourne

‘I’ve mostly spent my free time exploring Melbourne’s culture and main attractions – the people and the multicultural activities all over the Australia amaze me.

‘Melbourne has a reputation for being the “sporting capital” of Australia. As a cricket and soccer lover, I managed to see two of my favourite sporting events in MCG.

‘Last year I went to see the (cricket) world cup final between Australia and New Zealand – but I was most excited and hyped to see the “real Aussie Rules” between West Coast and North Melbourne at last year’s preliminary final – it was so exciting and cheerful to me.

‘Besides sports, I love cultural activities as well. I’ve attended couple of theatre shows at NGV, the St Kilda Festival and White Night.’

The La Trobe experience

‘La Trobe University is a great place to learn: It’s close to transport, has fantastic cafes, huge campus and the common places.

‘I’ve been an international host four times over the last one and a half years, which was an excellent opportunity to network and make friends. I got a job at Ask Latrobe during summer, and also worked casually at the international office in student administration.

‘I represented La Trobe at the Melbourne International Student Conference, and I also got an opportunity to get adaptive leadership training under Polykala. I’ll be always thankful to La Trobe for such opportunities, which helped build my confidence and expand my network.

‘La Trobe’s student communities are by far the best I’ve experienced. Every day I walk into the Agora and find something happening.

‘I’m also involved in different clubs and enjoy being part of this vibrant community.’

What’s next?

‘Within the next three years I’ll be a CPA (Certified Practising Accountant), and see myself as a CFO (Chief Financial Officer) within the next five years. Besides that, I’d love to continue my community engagement, and hope to help underprivileged children to get better access to education and health facilities.’

Start your international study experience at La Trobe and see all that Australia has to offer. Visit our website to find out more.