Indian student prepares to meet his career goals

Ankur Rastogi is an international student studying the Master of Professional Accounting at our Melbourne Campus in Bundoora. Ankur moved to Melbourne from India to strengthen his expertise at one of Australia’s premier universities.

‘I have a previous background in accounting and I’ve always wanted to study in Melbourne. I chose La Trobe for the many facilities available to international students.’

Living in Melbourne

‘I just love Melbourne. This city deserves to stay at its numero uno position for the most livable city. The best thing about Melbourne is how accepting it is towards people from all backgrounds and cultures. That’s why we have a good mix of people in this city. Geographically it’s an amazing place too, with equal access to sea and mountains.

‘I recently attended one of the AFL games and was in complete awe. It was an amazing experience and am happy to have been part of it.’

The La Trobe experience

‘My first advice to all international students is to do some voluntary work. The numerous activities on campus are what make La Trobe so special. I am an international host with the international support team and a volunteer tutor with the School Partnerships Program. I am also the treasurer at the debating club, LOUD, and part of the student advisory group for the College of Arts, Social Science and Commerce (ASSC), where I study.

‘As an international student these activities helped me to settle in and make new friends, whilst gathering experience that will help me get a good job after uni. I would also highlight the individual student support service. I have used it a few times and my interactions with staff have been fruitful. I also think orientation is an important stepping stone towards a good university experience.

Studying the Master of Professional Accounting

‘Normally, students may want to skip classes at university, with La Trobe this is not the case. I look forward to coming to university every day and spend most of my time on campus.

‘I like the content which is directly picked from the real corporate world. I would also like to specially mention Tony Martin who is a lecturer in finance. His online videos in first semester have helped in laying a strong foundation in the subject of finance.’

What’s Next?

‘I want to become a CPA (Certified Practicing Accountant) and work for PwC (Pricewaterhouse Coopers). The university is preparing me to meet my goal.’

Meet your career goals with a La Trobe degree. Visit our website to find out more.