What do I need to do when I graduate?

After graduation, it can feel like you’re entering a whole new world. Suddenly, there are resumes to write, future studies to consider, career pathways to decide on, job applications to make, interviews to attend, work visas to apply for, healthcare plans to think about… sometimes, it can all feel a little overwhelming.
But don’t worry! here’s a list of things you can to do to make the next stage of your life’s journey as smooth as possible:

  • Continue your studies

You can apply for a Masters, PHD or another Postgraduate course and also, you could apply for a scholarship. At La Trobe, we offer different scholarships including an Alumni Scholarship for returning students.

If you are looking to get a job in the hospitality industry, you can study a short course at a TAFE to get a Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) certificate, a barista course, a first aid course, etc. If you take this option, make sure you have a valid visa to study and work during this time. Read more about Short Courses To Help You Get a Job and Working Visas.

  • Get a Job in Australia

To help you prepare, La Trobe Career Ready offer their services to current students and alumni up to 1 year after your graduation. They can help you tailor your resume, your CV, cover letter, key selection criteria and even train you for your interview. You can also find employment in their database or upload your resume to our Unitemps site.

You can also search for a Volunteer opportunity or an internship to gain new skills and make industry connections whilst you are looking for a job as well. More information on How to Find Volunteer Experience

Remember that as an employee, you have work right. You are protected by the Australian Fairwork Ombudsman and that you can talk to them if you are not paid enough, facing discrimination or if you are having issues with your employer. You can also book a free appointment with La Trobe Student Union Legal Service if you are a current student.

  • Don’t forget to update your Insurance! 

If you want to continue your studies, you will have to extend your OSHC with your insurance provider, however, if you are changing your visa to a working visa, check with the Department of Home Affairs if you are required or recommended to get health cover. Depending on your new visa, you may or may not be eligible for Medicare. If you need to change your OSHC to an OVHC (Overseas Visitor Health Cover), you can visit our on-campus Allianz representative Monday to Thursday from 10am to 4pm – Melbourne (Bundoora) campus to discuss your options or choose your own provider.

Read more on Insider Guides