Visa expiring and need a new CoE?

Know your visa expiry date

If your student visa is expiring and you need to continue your studies at La Trobe, we can help! Remember that there are severe penalties for overstaying your student visa period. Therefore, we strongly suggest you to apply for your new visa within three months before your current visa expiry date.

You can apply for a student visa from the Department of Home Affairs (DHA)’s online tool.

Check your CoE end date

If your CoE is finished, you will need to extend your Confirmation of Enrollment (CoE). 

Step 1 – apply for a new Agreed Progression Plan (APP)

Coursework students – Your new Agreed Progression Plan (APP) needs to be approved by your College, and it will outline how and when you will complete your course and will include recommendations for how to improve your studies. You can contact your College directly to request an APP.

Research students – please provide your most recent progress review report

Step 2 – Extend your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)

If you are finishing studies at the end of Semester 2 (your CoE will end on 31 December), you will need to extend your OSHC policy until 15 March the following year. This is because the Department of Home Affairs will allow you to stay in Australia for an additional period after you have finished your studies to prepare for your departure or apply for further studies. You will need to contact your OSHC provider directly for the extension.

Step 3 – Apply for a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE)

Complete the online Application for Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) form and provide:

  • a copy of your passport
  • a copy of your current visa page or e-visa
  • a receipt showing that you have extended your OSHC
  • Coursework student – your Agreed Progression Plan (APP) / Research student – progress review report

If you need further information about the CoE process, please contact La Trobe International.