Focus On… La Trobe University Soccer Club (LUSC) – Around the World! Part 1

LUSC

Welcome to the first of our three-part series Focus on… La Trobe University Soccer Club (LUSC) – Around the World! LUSC is lucky to have representation from all over the world. In the next few issues of the La Trobe Times, we will be bringing you a taste of both the men’s and women’s LUSC team members, a little about their story, and why they can’t wait to get back onto the field for season 2020!

See the dedicated La Trobe Sport webpage for further information about the LUSC, or any other LTU sports club.

Lisanne de Jong, the Netherlands

Why you love the game: Playing soccer is not only extremely fun, it’s a sport in which I can be creative. Every moment is unpredictable which involves prompt decision-making and improvisation. Also, it’s very satisfying playing with people who have various soccer styles. Each person brings in a different skill-set which often leads to fantastic play. And of course, the exercise and the social side of it is a great benefit.

Fun fact: I started playing soccer in a boys team when I was 10 years old as there was not many girls playing then. I first wanted to play at a certain club in my home-town but they didn’t even allow girls. My dad wrote a letter to the court, after that they welcomed girls. I didn’t want to play for that club anymore so I went to a more inclusive one.

Xhemal Losha, Albania

Why you love the game: To me soccer it’s more than just a sport, it’s a life. It promotes peace, love and understanding. Soccer brings people together. At LUSC I have found a big family were I can enjoy playing soccer and have a great time with everyone.

Fun Fact: I have always been a big fan of watching soccer but only lately got involved playing it. I have run the marathon in 3 different countries. Hoping to do a full marathon next year in Melbourne.

Reda Benhammoud, Morocco

Why you love the game: Playing football has been my passion since I was a kid and it has become a part of my life. It brings me joy and challenges on different levels.

Fun fact: I used to play all my career as a defender and recently in one game the coach (Lorenzo Renda) decided to put me as a striker. Everyone including myself was shocked and amazed by my hidden skill where I was able to score 3 goals in 35 minutes.

Reda is currently doing the #PushupChallenge for 25 Days to raise awareness for PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder), anxiety and depression that drive people to commit suicide. Well done Reda!